Thursday, July 16, 2009

Three cheers for Random Acts of Kindness

Tonight in the bakery section of Fred Meyers, a nice looking guy about my age grabbed a loaf of bread beside me, paused, and said in the way of old friends, "You look really cute today!" And walked away with a big smile.

I managed to squeeze out a "Thank you!" before he turned, and I stared back at the loaves of dark rye, embarassed yet more blessed than I can express by his random compliment and positive energy.

I turned to follow him with my eyes, somehow hoping the smile I was shooting at his back registered in his mind and he could sense how completely happy I was in that moment and how that one tiny act of kindness literally turned my whole day around, filling me with the warmest fuzzies I've had in quite some time.

Call it cheesy, but I feel the absolute need to put it out into the universe since I will never meet him again - to my kind stranger today - thank you, thank you, for taking a second to make a sad girl's evening. Your genuine smile and words meant more than you know. I hope my embarassment didn't overshadow my happiness, and that you benefited as much from giving the compliment as I did recieving it.

Moral of the story~ Share the love y'all. You never know how much one sentence can improve someone's outlook.

1 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks so much for this. What a beautiful thing to happen.